Photo of the day – Sydney GPO colonnade
Sydney GPO colonnade
This image is a reproduction from a glass plate negative from the Tyrrell photographic collection. We have almost 8000 glass plates in this collection and a selection of these have been added to the Commons project on Flickr where members can tag, comment and share stories about these images.
This image shows the colonnade of the GPO building at Martin Place in the city. This building was designed by the Colonial Architect James Barnet and opened in 1874. It replaced a building the postal service had used since 1830. The second stage of building the GPO extended through to Pitt Street in 1887 and included the clock tower. It was constructed using Pyrmont stone and has an open arcade on three sides. Additional work was done in 1927 and again in 1942.
Photography by Henry King, Sydney, Australia, c. 1880-1900.
No known copyright restriction
Text © Powerhouse Museum