Photo of the day – Manly Wharf, Circular Quay, Sydney
Manly Wharf, Circular Quay, Sydney
This image is a reproduction from the Tyrrell photographic collection also featured on the Commons project on Flickr . This image was taken by Henry King c. 1880-1900 down at Circular Quay. According to Wikipedia the ferry service was started by Henry Gilbert Smith in 1855, using a paddle steamer called the ‘Huntress’. In 1877 the Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company began and took over this service. It continued to manage the ferries for over a century and helped to establish Manly as a popular destination.
No known copyright restrictions.
Text © Powerhouse Museum