Photo of the day – Colonial Sugar Refining Company Ltd. offices
Published by imageservices on August 18, 2008 in Photo of the day.
This is a reproduction from a glass plate negative that was taken c. 1905-1917. This was the Colonial Sugar Refining Company building that was located on the corner of O’Connell and Bent Streets in Sydney. The Colonial Sugar Refining Company was founded in 1855 in Sydney and first began refining imported raw sugar, the company then expanded into Melbourne, Queensland and Fiji. The company in now known as CSR Limited.
This four-storey building was constructed in 1905 in a Federation Classical style, with the facade featuring coarse stone blocks, segmented arches, rectangular windows and square shaped columns. This building is no longer there as it was demolished in 1962.
This image is from the Tyrrell photographic collection and is attributed to Kerry and Co, Sydney, Australia.
No known copyright restrictions
Text © Powerhouse Museum